"If you fill your heart with regrets of yesterday and the worries of tomorrow, you have no today to be thankful for."

Welcome back to Billy's Page #56, There have been visits to this page !

bpbullit Fri. 16 July 2004 sunny   727-898-7451 Room # 274 A
{5:00pm}Welcome back to Billy's Page. Today is Day +134 on Billy's BMT calendar. Today's counts are: WBC @ 2.18, RBC @ 2.42, Hemoglobin @ 9.0, platelets @ 85,000. ANC @ 1,400.
Once again, here are what the Normal blood counts levels are:
WBC: 4.0 - 10.5
RBC: 4.20 - 5.60
Hemoglobin: 12.5 - 16.1
Platelets: 150.000 - 450.000
Billy's counts are still a bit low, but his platelets are on the rise. Billy is feeling pretty good, although a bit weak due to the low red blood, and Hemoglobin counts. Billy would receive a transfusion if his Hemoglobin would fall to 8.0. Billy has had no sign of fever since he was admitted, and all tests that have come back, have all been negative for signs of infection. Yes, we are all puzzled, but relieved to know that there is no infections in Billy's system. Billy's final dose of Prednisone (steroid) was taken yesterday!! One less drug he has to take. *wink*, and his dosage of Cyclosporine was lowered to 75mg x 2 times per day, from 100mg(morning) and 125mg(night). Dr. Grana will release Billy tomorrow morning around 9:00 or so, if the fever never returns, and the remaining tests are negative. The CT scans will be done next week, and Billy's next Clinic visit will be on Monday.

Please Pray for Billy.........................and ALL children of cancer.
bpbullit Sat. 17 July 2004 Home ! sun and storms
{1:00pm}Welcome back to Billy's Page. Today is Day +135 on Billy's BMT calendar. Today's counts are: WBC @ 2.66, RBC @ 2.42, Hemoglobin @ 9.5, platelets @ 81,000. ANC @ 1,400.
Billy was released at around 11:00am, and is now at Home. His temp. remains around 99.7°, and he is pretty weak. His counts are up a bit, except for the platelets, which dropped 4,000. Dr. Petrovic will be having surgery on her knee this Tuesday, so Dr. Grana will be overseeing Billy's care. Billy will be at the Clinic bright and early on Monday for counts, and to have his Cyclosporine level checked as well. Lets keep our fingers crossed, that this "fever" is a thing of the past.

Please Pray for Billy.........................and ALL children of cancer.
bpbullit Mon. 19 July 2004 sunny   727-898-7451 Room # 271
{10:00am}Welcome back to Billy's Page. Today is Day +137 on Billy's BMT calendar. Today's counts are: WBC @ 2.9, RBC @ 2.75, Hemoglobin @ 9.5, platelets @ 88,000. ANC @ 1,500.
Alicia just called from the Hospital, Billy will be admitted for observation, and treatment for yet another fever. Dr. Letson (Billy's surgeon) has been notified, and will possibly be called on to do exploratory surgery on Billy's leg, which appears swollen. I will try to update Billy's Page later on, when we have a better idea as to what is going on. I will add the blood counts for today as well as Billy's room number.

{10:30pm} Billy's counts are all up today. Billy had an x-ray of his right leg at 4:00pm, and had an MRI of his leg at 7:00pm. The MRI Radiologist noticed quite a bit of infection in Billy's leg. Dr. Letson, Billy's surgeon, rushed to the Hospital from Moffitt in Tampa, to examine Billy this evening, and to review the MRI images, as well as the x-ray's. I just missed him as I was on my way home. Alicia called me and informed me that Dr. Letson will avoid another surgery if at all possible, and will see if the anti-biotics can control the infection. As you may well remember; Billy had surgery in January to remove the prosthesis in his leg because of infection, and it was replaced by a "temporary spacer" coated with a very strong anti-biotic. That was 6 months ago. The plan was to wait for Billy's immune system to recover enough to withstand another operation, and then replace the spacer with a new permanent prosthesis. This was planned for the very near future, and will now probably be put off again for an undetermined amount of time. Dr. Letson's visual examination of Billy's leg this evening didn't cause him to be very concerned, although he is. There is no pain associated with the swelling, and he assures us, as always, he will do what is best to save Billy's leg, but Billy's "LIFE" is most important.................We agree.

Please Pray for Billy.........................and ALL children of cancer.
bpbullit Tues. 20 July 2004 sun and storms
{7:00pm}Welcome back to Billy's Page. Today is Day +138 on Billy's BMT calendar. Today's counts are: WBC @ 2.26, RBC @ 2.26, Hemoglobin @ 9.0, platelets @ 92,000. ANC @ 1,500.
Like the weather outside, today has been pretty "dreary". Billy is not feeling very well. He had a hard time keeping his med's down this morning, and the thought of having to have another surgery to replace the "temporary spacer" in his leg with another one, really isn't very pleasing to Billy. This will be the 3rd time his leg will be opened up, from the top of his hip, to about 5 inches below his knee. In case you've not seen what I'm talking about, let me warn you before you click HERE, and see what the incision looks like. This photo was one of the second surgery Billy had in January of this year to place the temporary spacer in his leg.
Dr. Grana came in this afternoon and confirmed the fact that Billy has an infection in his leg, and is awaiting a consultation with Dr. Letson (Billy's surgeon) to discuss the next step. Alicia, Billy, and I all agree that it will be best to remove the infected spacer, and have it replaced so that Billy's immune system can continue to grow stronger. Billy's platelets are up another 4,000 today, and Dr. Letson would like nothing more than to have them up above 100,000 before any type of surgery. At the rate we're going, they should be there on Thursday *wink*.
Alicia had her shot this afternoon, and she too, isn't feeling very well. Billy gave his permission for her to spend the 'nite at home if her typical reaction to the shot shows it's ugly face.
I will update this entry again, if we hear from Dr. Letson this evening regarding Billy's leg.

Please Pray for Billy.........................and ALL children of cancer.
bpbullit Wed. 21 July 2004 sunny
{12:00pm}Welcome back to Billy's Page. Today is Day +139 on Billy's BMT calendar. Today's counts are: WBC @ 4.50, RBC @ 2.51, Hemoglobin @ 9.6, platelets @ 103,000. ANC @ 1,700.

Billy received Neupogen last night to stimulate white blood cell production, and as you can see (above) it kind of worked. Billy's platelets are up above 100,000, as we predicted, but the G-CSF (neupogen) has a tendency to reduce the production of platelets. We'll just have to wait and see what effect it has. It has been an unusually long couple days, and we are STILL waiting to hear some sort of explanation as to what is our next course of treatment for Billy's condition. Billy is still feeling pretty "lousy", and Alicia is starting to lose her patience due to the lack of information we are receiving. This whole process is really starting to show it's wear and tear on all of us, and it is not a pleasant feeling to say the least. I'll continue this update when we have some additional information on where we go from here.

{8:30pm} We just heard from Dr. Letson (Billy's surgeon), and after he had some time to review Billy's x-rays and MRI, he has determined that the cause of Billy's fevers may indeed be caused by an infection in Billy's leg BUT, he doesn't believe that there is any need for surgery at this time to remove the temporary spacer. The amount of "visible" infection is in no way at an extreme level. There may be an underlying cause of the infection as well, besides the leg, so more tests will be done and Billy will remain on IV Cefepime (antibiotic) for at least 6 more weeks. Again, we are all scratching our heads over this situation. As I mentioned in the previous update, the Neupogen has caused Billy's platelets to drop some what, they are now at 94,000, and the white blood counts are up to almost 6; also because of the Neupogen. Billy's fever has been kept under control, and it has been at normal levels all day today. Billy is feeling alot better now that he can get the "surgery" off his mind, and think about coming home. He did manage to eat some today, and kept it all down. I don't want to "jinx" Billy, but he might even be able to come home tomorrow. Again, we'll have to just wait and see.

Please Pray for Billy.........................and ALL children of cancer.
bpbullit Thur. 22 July 2004 sunny
{6:30pm}Welcome back to Billy's Page. Today is Day +140 on Billy's BMT calendar. Today's counts are: WBC @ 4.32, RBC @ 2.42, Hemoglobin @ 9.2, platelets @ 95,000. ANC @ 3,200.

Another long, and frustrating day at the Hospital today. Billy was in better spirits because the surgery option was now out of the question, but we were all still very frustrated by the lack of answer's. Dr. Letson (Billy's surgeon) called me at the hospital this morning, and told me that the scans, x-ray's, and MRI's were not pointing to an infection in Billy's leg, and he was going to call Dr. Grana (one of our Oncology Dr's) and request another Bone Marrow Aspiration be done ASAP. Dr Grana had hinted all day, that Billy's MDS may be returning. That was the very last thing we wanted to hear, after all that Billy has gone through. The Bone Marrow Aspiration was done this afternoon at 3:00pm, without complications. Dr. Grana came in to Billy's room at around 4:15pm, and informed us that there were NO signs of Myelodisplasia when the marrow was looked at under the microscope. It will be at least one week before we get the reports back on the CYTOGENETICS. We are so very relieved to know that there are no signs of MDS making a return, although it is always a possibility. Now we just have to find out once and for all, what is causing Billy's "off and on" fevers.

Please Pray for Billy.........................and ALL children of cancer.
bpbullit Fri. 23 July 2004 sunny 93   727-898-7451 Room # 271 A
{6:30pm}Welcome back to Billy's Page. Today is Day +141 on Billy's BMT calendar. Today's counts are: WBC @ 2.84, RBC @ 2.54, Hemoglobin @ 9.5, platelets @ 94,000. ANC @ 2,300.
Still no definitive answers as to what may be causing Billy's fevers. Dr. Letson (Billy's surgeon) came in to see him again today, and had another look at his leg. He stands by his "opinion" that Billy's fevers are most likely caused by another source. Dr. Grana has arranged for Billy to have an Upper GI done on Monday to see if there is anything there that may be causing Billy's nausea in the mornings. Dr. Grana will be looking for signs of GVHD as well during this test. The gut is one place that this condition will show itself, as well as the skin.
Billy will remain in the Hospital for at least the next 7 days, and will receive IV antibiotics (Cefepime) to combat his fevers, and infection.
Alicia came home for enough time today to take a shower, and have something to eat, before she went back to the Hospital. As you all know, she spends the 'nites with Billy while he is in the Hospital.

Please Pray for Billy.........................and ALL children of cancer.
bpbullit Sat. 24 July 2004 sunny 91
{7:30pm}Welcome back to Billy's Page. Today is Day +142 on Billy's BMT calendar. Today's counts are: WBC @ 2.20, RBC @ 2.54, Hemoglobin @ 9.5, platelets @ 99,000. ANC @ 1,200.
There is some good news in the "world of cancer" today. Click on the link below to Hannah's website, she had her surgery the other day, and things are looking very good. Also, her birthday is tomorrow, Sunday (2 yrs old), and I'm sure a birthday wish or two won't hurt *wink*.
Billy had a fairly good day today, although he is still a bit weak and irritable. He has been having bouts of nausea in the mornings, and will be tested for it's cause. The thoughts are that it is the Cefepime that is causing the nausea, which is one major side effect of the drug. Billy's counts are holding steady, and his platelets are even up some again. Billy's ANC is down to 1200, as you can see, and he will get another dose of Neupogen if the ANC falls below 1,100. The swelling in Billy's leg has decreased considerably, so much so that it is just about the same as his other leg. Although the Dr's feel that Billy's fevers may be from another source, It is ironic that the fevers are just about gone................and so is the swelling in his leg. Go Figure..*wink*..

Please, if you can find it in your Heart, say a Special Prayer for our Friend Casie. She was moved to ICU (intensive care unit) this evening because of complications with her transplant. If you would be so kind as to sign her guestbook, and let her know you are thinking of her, I'm sure it would mean alot to her and her Parents. Thanks *wink*.

Please Pray for Billy.........................and ALL children of cancer.
Please click on "next page" below to continue your Journey with Billy. See 'ya on page #57.


top of page



Childhood Cancer Awareness Ribbon
{right click and "save as" to your server}


"If you fill your heart with regrets of yesterday and the worries of tomorrow, you have no today to be thankful for."




what do people think      

.::Where do you want to go next? Click the text on the image map!::.






Where do you Live? Add a pin to Billy's Guest Map !

 

.::Billy's Page © is Designed and Maintained by:Wm.C.Gowacki e-mail me Billy's Dad }::.
.::Billy's Page © is best viewed with Any Browser at 800x600 32 bit true color::.
 Billy's Page© is a Gold Cup Web Site!


Designed By Billy's Dad Billy's Page is Listed on This site !! Approved by Billy's Mom